Monday, February 8, 2016

The Time of My Life

I began this blog in March 2010 just after my husband’s second battle with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and stem cell transplant. And I named it Pic Me Up because I wanted to make pictures that might encourage and give hope to both me and my readers. 

Pic Me Up has been a vehicle for learning photography and honing my writing skills. I’ve learned to make pictures that tell stories, ones that move me deeply.

Pic Me Up has given me a safe place to grow. I’m learning to let go of expectations, control and the need for approval. On these pages I’ve come to embrace imperfection and practice compassion.

And along the way, I’ve made significant and meaningful friendships, deeper than I could have imagined, marked by kindness and affection.

But, now it’s time for a break. And maybe an end.

This last year has been challenging. Our family is changing as our youngest son is off to college and beginning his own great adventure. We faced my mother’s progressive dementia and made the heart-wrenching decision to place her in a long-term care facility. There is sadness in this choice but also relief.

It feels as though the time is right to move on.

Art is a gift and I plan to continue making things that count. 

I thank each of you for sharing - your heart, your artistic expressions, your time and your wisdom.

You made my world better every time you visited. 


14 comments:

  1. This makes me so sad to read, I wish you always the best Donna as a friend would. But the pain in not having you here to cheer up my day is painful. May you find what you need at this time in your life for sure, as you have been such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how hard it is to let go of a blog. It becomes something special, shared with special friends.
    I have enjoyed your blog very much! But, sometimes our focus needs to be elsewhere, so I understand.
    I'm going to leave it in "my favorites" just in case you come back and need a place to share your heart. I don't want to miss it :)

    God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be sorry to see you go but I understand. My own blog has been silent since May and I really don't have the itch to get it going again. Maybe some day - but not yet.

    Good luck! So glad we'll be in touch in The Studio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a feeling that you will be back in some shape or form :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A heart break...but understand we all have to do what is best...I'll miss your posts for sure...hope you'll remain on Instagram...I find so much inspiration there and you are a huge part of that... Thank you Donna!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, I will miss your blog! I read it regularly- although I'm sorry to say I never comment- or have only a few times. I'm hoping to continue to see your beautiful work elsewhere. I understand, however, as times, needs, and forms of creative expression change. Best to you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sad to read that you plan to close the place where you share your thoughts, your joys and your fears with all your friends... the place where you share your inspirations and readings... the place where you offer us to admire meaningful pictures... it's your decision and I understand your choice... though I'll miss your so elaborate, creative and so rich with humanity posts and your photographic eye on the beauty of nature, on your fellow beings and on human activity around you... you have opened your heart on this blog and have aroused many friendships... may you find the best way of living a rich and happy life in the direction you wish... I'm so glad I've met you and I want to say Thank You to you... Good Luck for the years ahead to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for so eloquently sharing your words, your photos and yourself with us! I'm hoping that you will continue to share your gifts elsewhere and wish you and your family all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will miss your beautiful images and your wise words. But we will remain friends…. and shall meet in person in the spring! Best of luck to you donna.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This makes me really sad, especially as I finally can start being a bit more active in the blogging world again. I will miss your words and photos! All the best for you and your family, Donna! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sad and will greatly miss your posts and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alas, I had only recently discovered you. But it was lovely to experience your photos and writing while I could.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will miss your blog post. They always made me feel good and connected. I also believe you have way to much talent to just go silent. I'm hoping I will see you in another venue. Whatever you decide to do, you will go with a full heart. It's just who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Donna, You have such an amazing creative soul. You have made some very beautiful things. You will be back and please let me know when you are. My Kindest regards , and a big hug for this time of adjustment in your family.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.