Friday, January 15, 2016

Weekly

Behind the scenes, for every picture or story I share here, there is a real world of activity, sometimes slow and self-paced, sometimes fast and furious.

This week there was a trip to my physician to tackle a genetic tendency toward cholesterol and A1C numbers of the not-so-good sort, a very difficult decision to enlist the services of a home companion for my mother who has dementia (my sisters and I are exhausted from work and worry), a first-time appointment with a psychologist to help me navigate the struggles of life, and the usual chores and errands of home.

But there was also the most glorious breakfast of yogurt and granola and fresh fruit. I've switched to full fat plain yogurt, adding a few teaspoons of homemade vanilla syrup, along with chopped apple, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, banana, orange, topped with crunchy homemade granola.  I don't care for the artificial flavor of store-bought vanilla yogurt. The do-it-yourself version is subtly sweet and compliments the tartness of the yogurt perfectly. The whole milk yogurt has enough fat and protein to keep me full. And making granola is fun and easy and it turns out consistently just right.

Other things that made me happy -

~ handwritten letters, both received and sent
~ a new-to-me cookbook, A modern way to cook by Anna Jones
~ a Fujifilm instax mini 8 camera - just for fun

I had a week of #GraceBeginnings playing along with Bella Grace Weekly - January Challenges.

Jan. 11 – My neighborhood is. . . vibrant.


Jan. 12 – I feel lovely when I wear it. . . this scarf, a gift from Miss Polly, like a soft brush that paints me with color. 


Jan. 13 – A time I said yes . . . to shared experiences, taking a class, and learning to draw.



Jan. 14 – Beauty with age. Being older doesn't mean being invisible.


Beauty with age. Gray goes with everything.


Jan. 15 – Show us your favorite words. Even in the middle of winter, I long for Carl's frozen custard.


And of course, among my favorites are I love you, Thank You, Please, and I'm sorry (when it needs to be said). I have a file folder full of inspirational quotes and passages from books I hold dear.

But these words really make my heart sing.


Come on, you know you love 'em, too!

Wishing each of you a restful weekend with rejuvenation for another week of challenges ahead. Donna

11 comments:

  1. You live such an amazing full life. I am just trying to survive the snow, rain and ice right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll so enjoy playing with your instanx mini! I've had mine for a number of years now and it's so much fun! Always enjoy seeing your images on instagram and you know I just love the scarf capture! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Sarah says, you're living such an amazing full life Donna but what amazes me still more is that you find the time, the urge and the energy, despite the worries, to write such sparking and meaningful posts and to use your camera every time you need to illustrate a thought or a fact... your autoportraits show us a positive, optimistic, confident, cheerful, radiant and blooming lady... feeling good about yourself in your body as well as in your soul... your camera has become an inseparable part of you and your pictures express so much of you... Thank you for sharing these healthy recipes and have fun, Donna with your new little camera!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun your week sounds, you solved problems that have been on your mind, you had a great start to your new class. Now I am feeling like a slouch for the week. :) Love seeing your sweetness in these images. I will have to have some pointers on the Instanx. Mine is on my closet shelf because I just never could get the hang of it. Each of your photos really show how diverse your photography is and how wonderful you tell a story. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You, my friend, are lovely in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful blog you have here! You will love your little Instant! I love the self portraits and I agree, gray goes with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An Instax and drawing lessons! You are breaking bad, girl! We'll have to go on an Instax picture-taking trip. Your photos are so colorful, a welcome break in our January bleakness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post as usual Donna. So glad you are asking for help. Big step there. We all need it from time to time. A also love that your taking care of yourself and having fun with aging. BTW your skin is beautiful as is your hair. I don't even know what color mine is anymore...LOL
    Your photo's are so fun to go through. They speak lovely "words" of your week. I see to be in a blogging slump but hope to get over it soon. You have a great weekend and yes, rest up for next week. I can't wait to see what you'll do...

    ReplyDelete
  9. dear: i love this:

    Beauty with age. Gray goes with everything. & the swwet image that accompanies it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun post! Love that you included a selfie : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely beyond words. Sorry your on a journey with the elderly like I am.
    The selfie is grand.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.